Thursday, June 23, 2011

Top Chef Masters: Final Challenge...

First course: First food memory

Second Course: The experience that makes you decide to be a chef

Third Course: Dish that define you as a chef


Omg... 3 very good question...

My first food memory would be soft boiled eggs my dad try to force me to eat so often, my grandmother's fried chicken wings and soups on weekends, my mum's homemade rice wine, my second aunt's curry chicken and awesome chilli sauce.

I guess the decision to be a chef came gradual during secondary school days. Back in those days i would love to mess around in the kitchen at home making simple one dish meal like instant noodle and fried rice. Then in school we had Home Economics which made me really interested in cooking. For my upper secondary days, i chose Food and Nutrition as my elective. One comment from my teacher i can vividly remember which is i made the best pound cake ever in a practical class. I don't really excel in my studies, just average in language field and above average in maths and science field, thats why i would remember this forever.

The dish that will define me as a chef, i hate to say it but... would probably be a fusion dish. I always think it is possible to elevate local food using modern or western technique to transcend what local food has to offer not to create the confusion of asian or western food. Very good example would be to do bak kut teh the consomme way or hainanese chicken rice's chicken cook the sous vide way. Its not fusion, just making the best out of both world!


Having said that, i can't imagine what i would cook. Every time i watch top chef, i take some time to think about the challenges the chef in the show face and what i would do if im in their shoes. This is the only challenge that draws blank on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment